Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Camp 'Take Charge'





Camp ‘Take Charge’ was the first ever Year 7 & 8 camp here at Pt England School!

For me, this camp was a real privilege because I was a camp leader for the first time! I was a camp leader with Rayden and my crew was ‘The Carerz’. There were 6 groups, including our group, which were the Motivatorz, Thinkerz, Respectablez, Responsiblez and the Participatorz.

There were lots of fun filled activities we could do. There was hangi prep, kayaking, item practice, Indigenous games and team building. My favourite activity for the day were the Indigenous games. In this activity there were six mini games taken by Mr Harris. There was one game which had hula hoops placed around in a circle. Each person in my group had to stand in a hula hoop and throw a tennis ball to each other without it touching the ground. To win we had to do this 3 times non-stop.

At the end of the day, a group at a time walked down to the YMCA pools to have a swim and then have a shower. After we have finished our shower we would walk back up to the camp grounds and have either free time or item practice and get ready for dinner.

A hangi was what we had for dinner on the first day of camp. Each person got a little tray full of 1 kumara, potato, pumpkin, some stuffing and some chicken and pork meat. The hangi tasted nice but could of been better if there was salt in it.

The next day we had ‘Rock Up’. ‘Rock Up’ is a company that goes around Auckland/NZ with games and activities for people to do. My favourite activity that they came with was the Dunker! We had done the Dunker last year and everybody enjoyed it! Luckily for my group, we had The Dunker as our first activity. When it was my turn I got very nervous. I could feel butterlies fluttering around in my stomach. I sat on the wooden plank that divided me from the water, waiting for someone to hit the target and get me out. The first person stepped up with the ball ready in their hand and they took their shot. Next thing you know I was floating in the pool of water. I got out on the first shot!

On the last day of camp, Mrs Nua gathered everyone into the street (Intermediate block). She told us who came first and last out of all the groups. The Thinkerz came first and my group The Carerz came 3rd! That was a real surprise. After Mrs Nua told us all the notices and things we needed to know, she let us go and get our bags. We left for home. I was pretty sad to leave but I was kind of happy as well because then I could go home and have a nice good SLEEP!

No comments: